Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a common, cumulative stress injury that can cause pain, numbness, and tingling in the fingers, hands, and wrist. It is estimated that it affects as many as 6% of the general population. While there are many potential causes of carpal tunnel syndrome, including work ergonomics, there are also many ways to prevent and manage the condition. If you are experiencing symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome, see your chiropractor for an evaluation. There are treatments available at Davis Family Chiropractic and Massage, PLLC in Vancouver, WA, that can help reduce or eliminate your symptoms.
What Is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) affects the wrist and hand. The carpal tunnel is a small, narrow passageway in the wrist made up of bones and ligaments. The median nerve, which runs from the forearm to the hand, passes through this tunnel. The median nerve controls sensation in the thumb, index finger, middle finger, half of the ring finger, and muscles in the thumb.
Symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
The most common symptom of carpal tunnel syndrome is hand and wrist pain, ranging from mild to severe. Other symptoms include:
- Numbness or tingling in the fingers, hands, and wrist
- Weakness in the hand and fingers
- Difficulty gripping or holding objects
- Difficulty making a fist
- Wrist pain
Causes of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
There are many potential causes of carpal tunnel syndrome. Some people are born with a narrower than average carpal tunnel. Others develop the condition due to an injury or repetitive wrist and hand motions. In some cases, carpal tunnel syndrome results from a combination of these factors. Potential causes of carpal tunnel syndrome include:
- Thyroid problems
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Trauma or injury to the wrist
- Repetitive motions of the wrist and hand
Chiropractic Treatment for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Chiropractic care is a safe and effective treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome. Chiropractors take a holistic approach to health and wellness, which means they look at the whole person, not just the symptoms. Treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome may include:
1. Manual therapy: Chiropractors use their hands to apply pressure and manipulate the joints and soft tissues of the body. This can help to reduce inflammation and pain.
2. Ergonomic education: Chiropractors can guide you on work ergonomics (how to set up your workstation and perform tasks properly) to help prevent carpal tunnel syndrome.
3. Exercise: Chiropractors may prescribe specific exercises to stretch and strengthen the muscles and tendons around the wrist.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Chiropractor Today
If you are experiencing symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome, contact Davis Family Chiropractic and Massage, PLLC in Vancouver, WA, today on (360) 823-2225 to schedule an appointment. Our chiropractor will evaluate thoroughly and develop a treatment plan to help you find relief.