Back Pain and Chiropractic Back Pain Treatment
Nearly everyone has experienced back pain at some point. Statistically, almost 80 percent of people suffer from back pain during their lifetimes. One of the most common treatments for back pain is chiropractic care that includes spinal manipulations, therapeutic massage, self-care recommendations, and exercise advice.
Causes of Back Pain
Back pain can be caused by many health conditions and disorders, including:
- Ruptured or bulging disks. The soft material in the spinal disks can rupture or bulge, leading to pressure on nearby nerves.
- Arthritis. Arthritis can cause spinal stenosis. This condition causes a narrowing of the spaces within the spine.
- Ligament or muscle strain. Muscle or ligament strains can be caused by lifting heavy objects or awkward movements.
What Conditions Does a Chiropractor Treat?
Usually, chiropractors treat spine-related health conditions. This includes pain in the lower and upper back and the neck. Some patients have recent injuries, while others had had chronic pain that has been bothering them for years. There are also many patients who have headaches or arm and leg pain in addition to back pain. Chiropractors treat all of these musculoskeletal conditions.
What Types of Treatment Do Chiropractors Offer?
The most common chiropractic treatment is manual adjustment. Manual adjustments involve chiropractors using their hands to improve the position and alignment of the spine. Manual manipulations help to relieve the pain and improve joint mobility in certain areas, including the upper and lower back, spine, and pelvis.
There are also other effective chiropractic therapies for back pain, such as:
- Mobilization. It is a low-velocity manipulation, the goal of which is to increase the range of motion of muscles and joints.
- Instrument-assisted manipulation. A chiropractic specialist uses a hand-held instrument in order to apply force without thrusting into the back.
- Therapeutic massage. This therapy helps relieve tense muscles of the back.
- Trigger point therapy. The main purpose of this therapy is to identify painful points in affected muscle tissue.
Davis Family Chiropractic and Massage, PLLC in Vancouver, WA Is Here to Help
If you have been suffering from back pain that is not going away, it is time to see a specialist. Marc Davis, DC is our experienced Vancouver chiropractor who specializes in chiropractic care and wellness and is committed to providing back pain treatment to patients experiencing pain in the back. Dr. Davis and the dedicated staff of Davis Family Chiropractic and Massage located in Vancouver, WA are always ready to help you get rid of the pain and get back to a normal life. Contact us today if you have any questions or to schedule your first appointment.